03 January 2013

Review By Haiku: Philomath Culture Edition for September/October/November/December 2012



Television

Louie
Depress and depress
and depress and depress then
sometimes make me laugh.

Movies

Django Unchained*
Inefficient but
good by most standards, par-at-
best Tarantino.

Limitless
Would kill to access
the other eighty percent
of my brain with drugs.

Red River
In case you're tempted,
can't grade lab reports while Duke
goes on his manhunt.

Thor
Now, if I'd just watch
the new Hulk movie, I could
see the Avengers...

Serpico 
Think my new rule on
'70s films is just watch
Lumet's, skip the rest.

Groundhog Day
Bill Murray made peace
with rodents, so much so he
taught Phil how to drive.

Jackie Brown*
Heard the argument
this is Tarantino's best.
Heard it can't see it.

Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Not as expected,
much more happens in twilight
of life than I thought.

The Hitch-hiker
Public domain flick,
deserves more respect than its
fellows on YouTube. 

Glengarry Glen Ross
More rain and cursing
than I judged from cover,
crushed expectations.

The Artist
Based on his last line,
it's a wonder Valentin
could converse off-screen.

Night Train to Munich
Cool ending, and Paul
Henreid plays the opposite
of Victor Lazlo.

A Bronx Tale
Game: Look up current
pics of actors who played C,
guess which is in jail.

Extract
Love the idea
of baiting a spouse so you
can then cheat. Wait... No.

Books

1984
Ignore the movie,
read the book. But not in front
of a telescreen

Notes from the Underground 
Even to dabble
in Dostoeyevsky is to
test your own patience.

100 Heartbeats
Reading Jeff Corwin's
travel tales leaves me jealous
if not more informed.

Sports

The Reds broke my heart,
and now I have none, until
next year. Maybe. Nah.

Suck for Luck, strong for
Chuck. Colts only quadrupled
 my expectations.


*Note: Pulp Fiction > Kill Bill Vol. 2 > Reservoir Dogs > Inglorious Basterds > 
Django Unchained > Kill Bill Vol. 1 > Jackie Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment