19 November 2012

Epilogue to the Hunt for Red October

The end is more bitter than sweet, but I was relieved to see the worst case scenario (a Cardinals-Yankees World Series) averted.  While hardly anybody could deny that the Reds should have been in the picture longer – at least ousting the Giants in the NLDS to reach the NLCS, if not eventually playing the Tigers for the World Championship – I guess I’m marginally comforted by the fact that the Giants won the whole thing.  More comforting yet was the fact that they came back on the Cardinals, too.

Maybe next year will be better…

As I’ve alluded, there were promising developments this past season: the emergence of Todd Frazier, the hints that Homer Bailey is finally nearing his potential, the ability of the team to not just weather (but excel despite) Joey Votto’s injury.

MY PREDICTIONS (Put Abruptly to Rest):

World Series:  Rangers 4, Reds 2

 Totally off. But at least I picked playoff teams, right?

MVPs: Curtis Granderson and Andrew McCutchen

Taking half-credit for the McCutchen pick because of the third place finish in NL MVP voting and the fact that he was the apparent MVP for a good part of the year.


Cy Youngs: Justin Verlander and Tim Lincecum

Obviously full credit where it's due with the safe pick of Verlander, make that 1.5 for the Philomath.

Wait, what?  David Price?  Oh, right.  Justin Verlander finished a close second.  Rather, make that a clean 1-for-6 after I grant myself half-credit on Verlander too.  Official scorer doesn't rule in my favor, though, so make it 1-for-6 in my head and 0-for-6 for those scoring by the rules of the game at home.

Betting anyone I match or best that line next season.


No comments:

Post a Comment