26 October 2012

Here to Save the Day... of THE DEAD

The Day of the Dead - more authentically known as Dia de los Muertos - is only a week away and I realized how little time I have to prepare between now and November 2!  Worse yet, stores like Halloween City have popped up in our neighborhood but there are no offerings specific to Dia de los Muertos.

In an effort to strike a compromise - as I'm sure Halloween lovers have already torn the tags off their Jason masks and sultry nurse outfits - I encourage those without costumes (or with a face open) to don a skeletal mask.

But not just any skeletal mask!  In an effort to help extend the reach of Dia de los Muertos to celebriphilic Americans (like myself), I realized that one approach might be to make the skeletal decor of the day more recognizable.  A huge chunk of the Halloween costume market depends upon pop culture references and celebrities.  Thus, I have started a line of celebrity-inspired Dia de los Muertos skull masks, starting with three of the most familiar (well, familiar to me) faces from Mexico:










Fernandomania continues into the afterlife!  That is, hypothetically will continue, since Fernando Valenzuela is thankfully still very much alive.  Be sure to hold a baseball and glove high above your head so the poor guy has something to look at.  Don't put those eyes to waste! 


























I was looking through a gallery of some of Frida Kahlo's artwork the other night.  This rendition incorporates details from a few of the more striking pieces (though they are all rather striking).  In homage to one in particular, Diego and I (1949), the skull of Diego Rivera makes a cameo appearance here.




Finally, here's a mask that can serve at least triple-duty over the next few weeks.  You've got Halloween.  TV news is abuzz with Mitt Romney's poor performance in the race against President Obama to sell Halloween masks.  But the Romney masks are missing two important features: 1) the "Little Face" Mitt, of Tumblr fame and 2) the skull angle!  I know, it's probably so obvious to you now.  You get one day to rest, then it's on to the Dia de los Muertos parties in your LFM mask.  You may or may not know that Romney's dad was born in Chihuahua, Mexico, making him a suitable likeness on a technicality (while also benefiting from Fernando's being-alive technicality).  You almost certainly know Governor Romney as the GOP nominee for US President, though, and therein lies your third opportunity.  Wear a miniature expression of his confidence and enthusiasm across your much larger face when you go to vote.  Note: This mask is perhaps best worn ironically.


If I saved your Halloween/Dia de los Muertos/Election season like I think I did, you're mighty welcome.  You're a good person if you've come to my humble blog (I have filters for that sort of thing), and you deserve the best! 





No comments:

Post a Comment