28 December 2011

Tried and True, the Self-Interview

Rather than take for granted the likelihood that visitors to this blog (if they ever do show up) for many months or more will be people who know me and want to show their support (or pity) for me, I've decided to throw together a quick icebreaker.  I chose the self-interview, a schizophrenic method popularized by a legitimately crazy person way back in my 10th grade speech class.  His topic was 9/11 - which made his reading of the interview transcript all the more uncomfortable - but I think I'm a light enough topic that the method can be revisited here.

Interviewer:  So, the first question I wanted to ask you (myself?) was, "Why start a blog?"

Donovan:  Great question.  My answer isn't fully formed, but know I want some practice writing on topics and in styles of which my professors/advisers don't really encourage.  Often, their scopes and interests are much too specific, and as I've stated previously I want to make some novel logical connections rather than cut deeper and deeper into familiar, specialized subject matter.

I:  You seem a bit uneasy with this whole interview process.  Would you like a glass of water, or an opportunity to speak freely without prepared questions?

D:  No, no.  (Clears throat)  I can feel the chemistry building.  Next question.

I:  Very well.  Do you have any credentials?

D:  I've completed two bachelors degrees at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis - a BA in biology through Purdue and a BA in religious studies through IU.  I'm currently working on an MS in biology at IUPUI, in which I split my time taking classes, teaching classes (upperclass ecology and freshman biology labs), and doing research (see: literally watching grass grow). 

I:  What visions do you have for this blog?

D:  At worst, it will be a writing journal which people will roll their eyes at when they accidentally stumble upon it.  At best, I would like to think that my sort of mid-range level of education and expertise puts me in a position where I can have conversations and write pieces in such a way that they aren't too pedestrian for academic elites but also are not so specific or technical that they fail to have more universal attraction.  It seems that folks on opposite ends of the educational spectrum often assume that they must choose how/what they read and write in a polarizing (or at least static) manner, while I hope to provide information and opportunities that could draw both toward the center.  Regardless, I've got an outlet to practice some of my writing and articulate the thoughts that are swirling around in my head.

I:  What are some example topics that you're considering bringing into the blog?

D:  The list is substantial, so I'll list just a bunch off the top of my head:  Things I learn/experience as a TA, recaps of articles/books I read and essays I write academically, urban ecology, environmental change, trees, religious history, classic films - esp. film noir, inspiring/intriguing/ridiculous things I hear in an average day in Indianapolis, and sights and stories from trips to nature preserves and parks.  Particularly in season, I'll surely try to force something about baseball into the mix, too.  There are many other ideas in addition, plus I'll be interested in following up on requests or sidebars that come up in the event of discussion ever happening.

I:  Riveting.  I think I speak for all future readers when I say that hopefully you'll be satisfied to stop defining yourself and the blog and just write the thing from now on.

D:  You took the words right out of my mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment